View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 02-05-2006 06:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Isn't this the most-fun JH subjet of them all????

First things first, if there is no valve clearance on 3 valves, chances are at least one of them is already burned and you'll never get compression back in that cylinder w/o at least a valve job. 

Just because you have receipts doesn't mean the installer knew what to do with them.  See what I found when a supposed 'reputable' shop did work on a 907:

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album08/no4main

The problem with the <.060" shims is due to the previous machinist not grinding the valves during the last valve-job.  My machinist sets them all to the same deck-height which usually requires .010"-.020" to come off each vavle. 

One other thing to look-out for is that those damn shims move, especially when you're trying to install them on a head that's still mounted to the engine.  Some STP or Moly Assy lube does wonders for keeping them in place.

If you are unsure about the work done, and if you think any of the valves could be burned, pull the head off and see for yourself.  $100 to inspect & lap some valves is cheap insurance.

If you can't find a decent shop to work with, I can get it done for you here and ship it back to you with the valves shimed to match your cams and cam towers.

BTW:   I had to buy one of those magnetic 'snakes' myself to fish out a nut that I had dropped.

Last edited on 02-05-2006 06:19 pm by Judson Manning