View single post by Mitch Ware
 Posted: 02-05-2006 03:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mitch Ware

So 8k miles after I got 19670 on the road, and this winter seemed like a good time to check/adjust the valves. Pretty straight forward job it seemed. However, 3 of the clearances were so small that I couldn't even get my smallest feeler gauge in between the cam and the bucket. But I wrote down a zero for those three and the other 13 measurements that I got and proceeded on. When I took the cam towers off, lo and behold, gaskets instead of permatex! Whoever rebuilt the engine decided not to follow the manual regarding that little item. A quick call to Jim at DMS and he said to clean the gaskets off, put everything back together and re-measure to figure out what shims I need. *sigh* So, I did. However, this time, I couldn't get the feeler gauge into 13 of 16 valves. And since some of the shims are already the thinnest, .060", that Jim said should be used, I have to go back to using the paper gasket to get the thickness that I need.

Anyone run into this? Possible causes? The PO gave me a receipt for the rebuild on the engine from a machine shop in NH, but I have no idea how reputable they are. I know that the engine was never run after the rebuild, and looking at the complete lack of ware on the parts it certainly looks like there really is only 8k on the engine. All of the parts came from DMS, I have the receipts for them. Is it possible that the valve seats are sunk too far into the heads?

As an aside, when you take the cam towers off, plug all of the oil drain holes. It scared the crap outta me when I dropped the top front nut on the intake tower into the oil drain hole and it went down into the engine. I was able to retrieve it using a thin small magnet on a soft aluminum shaft. The darn thing must have been over 12" down in the engine.

Mitch Ware
1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO