View single post by Glen
 Posted: 01-28-2006 08:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Glen

Still not working:

Ok .. first this was a running car (#19667) that I replaced the clutch plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing on.  The battery has 12+ volts and is fairly new, but has been sitting for a year.

Second... my 18 year old son was to take off the starter when I began this mission, but instead took off the selenoid and left the starter on the car, and then took off the starter and put the selenoid back onto the starter. ... hence my lack of knowledge as to how the wiring for the starter was originally hooked up.  Is is possible he wrecked something in doing this? 

I'm pretty sure I've got the wiring hooked up right.   Interestingly, the selenoid has "ign" marked next to one of the flat connectors, but that is where I had to hook up the White-yellow wire. Doesn't the White-red wire come from the ignition? I have a parts car I was able to compare this to, but it is older and different in a few ways.  It has the battery junction, but the selenoid is the same and it has the same white-red and white-yellow wires. The small brown wire from the alternator is actually a brown-white or brown-yellow (I can't tell which) wire that goes into the wiring harness and I think goes up to the 5 pin connector.  It doesn't hook to the selenoid directly.

Anyway .. The selenoid "clicks" when I try to start the car, but the starter doesn't turn.  The White-red wire has about 12.8 volts coming out of when I turn the ignition key to start the car.  This is connected to the terminal that activates the selenoid.  If I touch the positive cable to the post on the selenoid (the one connected to the copper strap from the starter) the starter will turn.  The white-yellow wire seems to have 5.8 volts coming out of it even when I turn the ignition key to start the car.  This doesn't sound quite right.

Help?

Last edited on 01-28-2006 08:19 pm by Glen