View single post by Glen
 Posted: 01-28-2006 03:34 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Glen

I wanted to clarify my understanding of how the electrical connections on the starter motor are made.

My car doesn't have, nor has it ever had that battery junction on the battery cable as described in Mark R.'s earlier post.  So.. on the back of the selenoid, I have

1) 2 brown wires coming out of the wiring harness which are attached to the same post on the selenoid that the battery cable is attached to.  One of these wires appears to be slightly thinner than the other, but they are both relatively thick wires and both seem to provide power to the entire car when I touch the positive battery wire to them.  There is no thin brown wire that I can see that goes from this post on the selenoid to the alternator. 

2) The flat metal copper strap from the starter is the only thing attached to the other post on the selenoid.

3) The white-red and white-yellow wires are attached to blade connectors on the back of the selenoid.  I have the white-red one attached to the blade connector closest to the passenger side.  It will fit on either blade connector, but I don't think it matters which blade connector it's attached to, or does it?

Is this correct?  It's not turning over.  Iwas thinking it might be a low battery, but the lights, fan and all the electrical work fine.