View single post by Bill Westerman
 Posted: 01-23-2006 11:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bill Westerman

Well I finished the job and thought I would pass on some comments………. 

I started off intending to replace the steering shaft to column tube bushing but quickly identified other sources of play in the steering: 
  1. The steering shaft to column tube bushing was shot and required replacement.  This is not too bad of a job by itself and does not require removal of the steering column.
  2. The rubber isolator which supports the column tube at the firewall had deteriorated and needed replacement.  This was the step that necessitated the removal of the steering column assembly.
  3. The bearing at the top of the column was dry and “notchy”.  I simply flushed the bearing out and repacked it with grease.
  4. The shear tabs on the two piece shaft were damaged but still in one piece hanging toward the top of the shaft.  I epoxied the pieces back in place and later sanded a nice lead in to help when putting the two pieces back together.  I’m also quite sure that the two piece shaft had been telescoping during steering making the u-joint assembly feel notchy.
I put everything back together and I the results are far better than I had hoped….virtually no play in the steering.

Thanks for the help.

Bill