View single post by Bill W
 Posted: 01-10-2006 10:44 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Bill W

After finally losing patience with the sloppy steering in my JH, I determined that the steering column bushing at the firewall has completely transformed itself into black shoe polish.  I've since received a new urethane bushing and firewall bracket from Delta.

Now that I have the parts in hand, I'm glad I also got the bracket because it has an integral rubber isolator that apparently is sandwiched between the stamped steel bracket (with the two threaded studs) and the firewall (from the inside of the car).  I'm quite sure the original isolator has also deteriorated.

What  concerns me is the fit between the bushing and firewall bracket/isolator.  It has about 0.11" clearance....not exactly a press fit.  So maybe I'm unclear about how this whole assembly works and the assembly drawing in the manual is not much help.

The way I'm seeing this is that the bracket installs from the inside of the car.  The two nuts secure it from the engine side of the firewall.  The bushing in installed from the engine bay and placed inside the bracket/isolator and over the steering column journal.  But that can't be.....there is way too much play and no means to keep the bushing in place.   So what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill