View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 12-18-2005 03:40 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

I used to think xerography copiers gave 1:1 reproductions but actually they can be off by several percent and may not be the same along both axes.  This only matters when making images of critical stuff like gaskets and exotic electronic circuitry.  I suggest placing two perpendicular rulers on the scan bed along with the gasket just in case.  If you also store an electronic copy of the image, you can later massage the image, if necessary, to produce it at exactly 1:1.

For the rear end, if you've got the thing more or less apart, you might want to consider adding a drain plug to the bottom of the differential housing.  This can be much smaller than the filler plug.  With the rear cover off and a rag jammed into the case, there shouldn't be any problems with metal chips.  This allows draining the lubricant if it gets contaminated without having to R&R the cover and install a new gasket there.

In addition to the suspension arms and springs, you might want to abrasive-blast the diff rear cover.  The original paint there tends to fall off in flakes, often after one paints over it.  You could also do the same to the backing plates for the rear brakes.  If you feel so inclined, you could even re-plate the various levers and bits.  Check the e-brake cable and transverse rod.

You mentioned installing a new throwout bearing and that the clutch and pressure plate were near new.  What about the pilot bearing?

All in all, sounds like a wonderful winter's project, as long as you don't have to work outside in the snow!

Perhaps you could tell me if the threads on the tops of the 4-speed and 5-speed shift levers are the same?