View single post by Joel
 Posted: 12-17-2005 11:32 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Ok, maybe I should start a new thread w/ 'changing your oil pump' as the topic. Greg - feel free to move this if you deem it appropriate.

I took the oil pump off my 'spare' engine. I have not used a guage (mine isn't fine enough) to check the clearance. . .but it 'looks' ok. It is off a rebuilt engine that overheated and was taken apart again - so, I know I need to watch the oil pump. But, overall everything seems very tight. No play and very clean. I'm starting to wonder if PERHAPS some of my ignition problems on my car (not the spare motor) might stem from problems with the oil pump/distributor assembley. I'll keep ya posted as things progress. . .

I plan to take the oil pump housing off the car w/ the problem and compare the two. If they look similar (I'll use a guage on both of them) I'll buy new cogs and rebuild one of them. But, my only concern is that I have to take the cam belt off to do all of this. As long as I don't move anything all should be well but I'm still paranoid. And I'm thinking if I have to do this, I might as well replace the belt while I'm there.

So, just for fun, I Plan to move everything to #1 TDC. Then I should be able to take off the alternator and remove the timing belt. I will mark the position of the pulleys, etc, to make sure they don't move and then take off the oil pump housing.

Does this sound acceptable to all? I'm not a total hack but I think there's a lot of good experience here and I'm not shy to ask before I screw things up.

Also as far as measuring the clearance between the 'cogs of the rotors', I assume we are talking about the clearance between the inside rotor and the outer rotor at it's closest point (ie, when the cog rotates and 'closes' with the outer ring.

I suppose I could post pics but I think you'll all understand my point.

Using Greg's difficulty chart - I'm rating this at 2-3 glasses of wine. Of course, I'm drinking more just to keep it interesting.

Last edited on 12-17-2005 11:33 pm by Joel