View single post by nvandal
 Posted: 12-17-2005 07:55 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
nvandal

Thanks for the advice on sealer. I was going to zerox the gasket so I'd have a pattern. That should reproduce it 1:1.

I was give two parts cars, one with Getrag five speed and the corresponding rear end. One of the hubs was bent since the car had slid into a curb. I tried removing the bearing from the axle with the bent hub. Man, what a pain. My guess is it really can't be done without a press. I'll bring it over to a friend's to pop it out. I want the bearing retaining plate to use as a hole pattern for caliper brackets.

I'm totally cleaning the tranny and differential/ axle case. I'll media blast the trainling arms and pop in new bushings, including those on the diff case. I got some great condition axles on Ebay; cleaned them up and painted the hubs. The bearings are good. I'll media blast the springs and paint them too. I bought new shocks ( Gaz adjustable ) on Ebay.

Clutch and pressure plate are near new. Putting in new throwout bearing though.

I put a new shifter bushing kit on the tranny, and am getting new mounts for the tranny and the shifter extension. Had to have a drive shaft made. Didn't want to use the two piece with the funky rubber center mount.

My goal is to restore everything before putting it together. Any thoughts on what I may have forgotten? I want to simply pluck out the old system and pop in the " new ". Winter project in Vermont!

Joyous Holidays to you,

Norm Vandal