View single post by Joel
 Posted: 12-13-2005 04:36 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

sitting in the pub last nite i discussed this problem w/ a motorhead acquaintance of mine. he agreed about the wear on the oil pump lobes. it seems he had the same kind of problem w/ a mechanical fuel pump.

i'm running 20-50. when all is well, at idle i have greater than 60#'s of oil pressure.

so - is the oil pump rebuildable? i do have a spare engine i just picked up so i guess i could take the oil pump off and take a look at it.

and it has been taking what i thought was an inordinate amount of time for the engine to reach operating temperature (or the middle of the gauge where it usually holds). but, i was running it pretty hard at about 1/4 gauge and she ran the best she's run since i've had her. when i hit 'normal' operating temp according to the guage(after 20 minutes or so of driving)everything started to go downhill.

regarding the carbs - i'm trying not to fart around w/ them yet. i think doing that is just opening up a can of worms. i have too many variables right now. the ignition is getting closer to right - and i don't want to be futzing w/ 17 things at once or i'll never get any of them right. when i get everything else in order - i have a set of dellorto 40's that i just had rebuilt, i figure i'll just swap the stombergs out.

maybe i'll just run it for 20 minutes, shut it down, have a coke and then start it up again. . .:-)