View single post by vnavaret
 Posted: 02-03-2024 01:47 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
vnavaret

Latest news on Rusty the car...

I decided to toss my old brake calipers as I could not get the pistons out. Compressed air popped one out, but he rest, well, not so much. I asked a buddy what he does for this, and he welds a bolt to the piston and uses a slide hammer. I felt that if I was that desperate, the bores would be pitted so I tossed the old calipers and bought new ones for $90 each. They are the same calipers that the early Spitfires use, so they are readily available stateside. The rear slave cylinders appear to be the same ones that the TR7 4 speed and the TR8 use, so these are not an issue either.

I got some photos back from the body shop, and the car has had all the dents removed and is now in primer. So progress is being made.

In the meantime I have rebuilt the heater (removed a wasp nest, bead blasted, painted with new gaskets), torn down the rear axle, painted the brake drums, powder coated the bumpers, and acquired a bunch more parts. I even got a spare engine so I can replace a cracked cam gallery that the PO had patched with silicone (it didn't work, BTW)

The trailing arms have been cleaned and painted, and I got the last bushings in the rear axle removed. They were the worst to get out - argh.

A tip of the hat to Bruce Madden, who has supplied me with some difficult to find parts for very reasonable prices.

Stay tuned for more news...

Vance

Attachment: IMG_6052.jpg (Downloaded 91 times)