View single post by JH12947
 Posted: 12-09-2023 09:30 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
JH12947

After a bit more research it appears that I may have a bit of a hodgepodge of components and perhaps a non-original engine. The car does have a bracket on the firewall for the oil separator (though I don't have it), but the engine does not have a sump with the provision for the oil to drain back in. The valve cover has a oil fill cap, but no vent tube.

Another post states that the oil separator was only installed up to engine #2759, so 3077 may not require it.

There is also a post that says that MkII engines had a built-in oil separator - not sure where that would be.

Leaves me with a hole in the top of the crankcase from which I can collect oil but no way to return it to the sump. It may be best just to collect it in a catch can and keep an eye on the oil level but I'm open to input on it.

EDIT - Just checked the Marten Robey site and it looks like the oil return was just and extra fitting on the sump drain plug. I may look to replicate this and add a drain unless I can confirm that the whole thing is unnecessary on this engine.

Last edited on 12-09-2023 09:36 pm by JH12947