View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 11-21-2005 11:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

I use a 2-jaw puller to get my steering wheel off.  And this is after the splines have been lubricated with anti-sieze compound.

What sort of steering wheel 'wobble' do you have?  A small amount of rotational movement (maybe 1/8" at the wheel rim) is normal.  An even smaller amount of back-and-forth movement along the steering shaft axis (less than 1/16") is also normal.  There should be virtually no tilting of the wheel and steering column shaft with respect to the body of the steering column.  If there is, the ball bearing at the top of the steering column might need to be shimmed to take up clearance between it and the column housing, or the bushing at the firewall end of the steering column might be worn.  If these are both good, then likely your steering column has been whacked with a hammer once too often and has suffered internal damage.

I'll second Mitch's remarks about wives and hammers.  In addition to the loss of a willing assistant, if the wife is a traditional sort, one generally endures very poor meals for a long time afterwards....

I concur with Rory's remarks about not losing the two tapered collar pieces.  These are necessary to keep the steering wheel from going too far forward on its shaft.  Replacements, if required, are available from Delta Motorsports, and can be secured with silicone sealer or gasket cement -- don't bother with the securing band that Delta also sells, those are just ancient rubber bands.