View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 06-09-2023 07:40 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

hi Vance, thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

With the older Pertronix Ignitor II, the opening point was every time a number of degrees before #1, #2, #3, and #4 whereby the rotor's metal edge would just trail towards the #1 and so on. I could install it in two ways: as shown in the picture or 180 degrees opposite. It would work either way. And the car always ran fine (some years ago).

With the newer Pertronix Ignitor II, the opening point is every time just after #1, #2, #3 and #4. Also this one i can only install in two ways, as in the picture and 180 degrees opposite...but the result is of course the same.

The new version can be turned on its base plate and comes with a chain-like connector to fix it and stop it from turning. With a different length it would perhaps work and I would then be able to turn it such that the pickup and reluctor will fire just before the plugs, but with the one provided it is seriously off. The reluctor of the two pertronix unit is exactly the same, so can't be that either. I find it weird it is being sold as the unit for Jensen healeys and Lotus with 907 engines with 43d/45d/59d distributors and by well respected online stores.

I may have things totally wrong and may not understand it but with the opening point each time just after the plugs I will never get it to start. I was hoping someone had experience something similar or was able to fix it.