View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 06-05-2023 09:57 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my car back on the road after some repair work here and there. The car is as good as ready to go apart from the distributor.

The car previously ran with an Pertronix Ignitor II unit. I thought it had died on me, so purchased a new Pertronix Ignitor II unit with the following product code 9LU-143A as sold on many sites like Summit Racing, SJ Sportscars in the UK and specifically for the Jensen Healey and Lotus cars with 43D/45D/59D distributors.

Comparing my older Pertronix II vs the new one, I could immediately see that the new unit is angled almost 45 degrees to the older version.

I marked my 45D4 distributor (no vacuum) with the cap on to indicate the position of CYL 1. In the attached pictures this is the red mark farthest to the right. I then installed my old breaker points and marked the opening point towards CYL 1. This is red mark to the left. The rotor's metal edge is just trailing CYL 1 spark plug in the cap...which seems right.

I then re-installed my old Pertronix Ignitor II unit...eyeballing the opening/closing point (as Tim Engel advised some time ago) with the reluctor vs pickup, the rotor is now just before the breaker points opening point. I marked it blue.

I then installed the new Pertronis Ignitor II unit. The unit can turn to some degree. It comes with a little connector to fix it in position and stop it from moving. Doing so and eyeballing it the exact same way i did with older unit, the estimated opening point now points exactly to CYL 1 in the cap...which can't be good. It seems way out of phase.

Is there another way of installing the new unit? Has anyone ever installed this particular unit? Are my findings with regard to my old breaker-points and old Ignitor II correct? ...or what am I missing?

Attachment: old on left new on right.jpg (Downloaded 49 times)

Last edited on 06-05-2023 09:16 pm by Harkes