View single post by Darth V8R
 Posted: 03-10-2023 06:19 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Darth V8R

A misadjustment that small will not result in what you are experiencing. Instead, look at ignition timing and spark plug wire routing (e.g. two plug wires swapped).

Also, be certain that the during installation the distributor was installed in the correct orientation, and that the bob weights are not sticking so that the timing is able to advance. Make sure you have the correct type of distributor rotor so that you do not get cross firing of the plugs. Check your distributor cap for carbon tacking and replace if needed. If you are running stock ignition, try a different condenser as a bad one will cause erratic spark at higher RPMs.

Lastly, run the engine under low light conditions and check for visible high voltage arcing from your plug wires.

In my experience, 50% of ignition issues are due to non-stock ignition setups that are improperly installed by the owner, so if you are running non-stock ignition as a last resort switch back to stock ignition to see if that corrects the problem. I had to do that on my Dolomite Sprint motor as the electronic ignition was mis-behaving.

Vance