View single post by noomg
 Posted: 01-10-2023 07:27 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
noomg

Vance,

Since your primary need is a floor mat it sounds like the big stuff is in good order including the most important thing to do which is replacing the timing belt unless you're absolutely sure of it's history. Because if it cuts loose and you're lucky you'll only have to replace some bent valves. "So you've got to ask yourself do I feel lucky today, well punk do you?"

The original floor mats were both a blessing and a curse. They were heavy duty, moulded, and had a cool J/H logo on them. On the other hand when the cockpit got wet like any British car those rubber mats could trap water underneath them for months. As you may have found out floor pan replacement is one of the most common fixes on the Jensen-Healey. Even on my CA J/H I had to replace one and patch the other and yes I still had the original mats. But now they're in my garage.

When I restored my interior I went with a set of period correct matching coco mats that I'm very happy with. If you're interested in this option go to cocomats.com. These guys are great and do custom work to fit your needs. They send you a full size paper sheet or pattern which you cut to fit. So you can make them as tight or as loose as you wish or as long or short as you want. For example you can stop the mat under the pedals to the firewall or extend it up the firewall behind the pedals, it's your call.