View single post by edward_davis
 Posted: 11-19-2005 05:33 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
edward_davis

Yesterday, after driving for only about 20 minutes, my engine spluttered and died.  I was able to restart it and get another two blocks, but she wouldn't idle, and eventually she wouldn't run.

The fuel pump had been a lot quieter yesterday, so I immediately suspected it.  There wasn't any fuel in the fuel filter, and when I pulled off the line below the pump and tested it with the key on, there was no suction.  Also, the pump was pretty hot.

So I called AAA for the three-block tow back to my apartment.  I would have pushed her, except for the hills...

After the tow, I switched the key on again, just to see what would happen, and the fuel pump made its normal racket.  I guess that cooling off had made it function again.  I was able to let it pump for a while and then fire her right up. 

So here's my question.  Was it something I did?  Do I need a new fuel pump?  It's not the original type, by any means.  I've attached a picture.  I checked the fuel filter, and it looks clear.  Also, the tank is a relatively new aluminum one, so I don't think rust/ dirt in the system is a problem.  I had about 1/4 of a tank of fuel when this happened.

Attachment: Fuel Pump.JPG (Downloaded 171 times)