View single post by DonBurns
 Posted: 01-01-2022 06:03 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
DonBurns

I am in the process of installing one of the Gustafsen starters. Chose this because available quickly from Dave Bean. Looks very much like the WOSP, almost suspiciously so, with same rotating collar with what looks like the same drilled hole pattern.

Anyway, one small issue is that the terminal for main power is a little farther from the battery than on the Lucas, and the wiring harness is not long enough to reach between the starter terminal and the battery terminal. My first thought was no problem, this thing has a rotating collar! But I discovered that the unit can really only rotate a few degrees before hitting something one direction or the other.

So I need to lengthen the main cable. Short term I will just splice a length of cable (what gauge is that? 8? doesn't say on the wiring diagram) to the battery. Long term, replacing all the cables, as Tim suggests, probably the way to go. Any recommendations on connectors to presumably replace the "Battery Junction" to connect the other three 10-gauge brown wires? Looking at discogodfather car, are the three brown wires connected to the starter terminal? That seems like it might be the cleanest fix.