View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 12-31-2021 09:20 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

The pump pulley's V-belt groove must be in the plane of the crankshaft pulley's V-belt groove. There's no built-in step that correctly positions the hub on the shaft... and it's the hub that locates the V-belt pulley.

Is the pump you found in your stash "original" J-H? As in, the way it came from the factory? "IF" it is, then remove the pulley, and measure the distance from the front face of the hub to the rear face of the pump housing. When you press the hub back on during the rebuild, push it on to the same dimension... put it back where you found it.

If you have zero confidence that the pump and hub location are original/ correct, then use 3.875" (98.4mm).

While pressing the hub on in a hydraulic press, it's difficult to get in there and measure the distance from the hub's front face to the housing's rear face. Instead, I prefer to select a stack of feeler gauge leaves that are a snug slip fit between the nose of the pump housing, and the hub. Then when pressing the hub on, lay the stack of leaves on the housing's nose, and press the hub on until it makes concact with a snug slip ift.

If you don't know the history of the pump, or if it's hub is in the correct position, then I don't recommend the feeler gauge method. All you would be doing is duplicating what 'is', even if it's wrong.

See the attached cross-sectional drawing.

I agree with Bruce. If your spare is old and used, then it's at death's door as is. It might be a good core for a rebuilld, but don't trust it as-found in the bottom of some box.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Attachment: Water Pump - 9XX Rebuild - Cross-Section, Dimensioned, JH 907.jpg (Downloaded 53 times)