View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 11-29-2021 05:22 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Tom Bradley wrote:
Not sure if this helps, but many years ago I found some replacement aftermarket wheel bolts that worked. (See comparison pic). I measure slightly less than Bruce: 0.518"-ish on the outside. The flat part of the replacement bolt looks flush with the inside depth of the knurl and measures 0.494". Assuming that this was a standard size and not something weird, my guess is that the 0.507" sized bolts will likely work.

Yes I think you are right Tom. ARP has a web page with some instructions on fitment and they say the hole needs to be anywhere from "0.006-0.016˝ smaller than the Knurl". I tried measuring a bare hole and get around .501" so .507" would be right at the small end of the tolerance.

Some assumptions for sure but I think it all is within a range that can be reasonably assumed is ok.

I found a set of right sized ARP studs with a .507" knurl meant for a Miata that are quite a bit longer than stock (at least .6" for a total threaded length of around 2.1", where as stock is about 1.45"). It will change the thread to M12x1.5 but I doubt this is anything but good as well since there are so many more lug options. I found a good set of open head steel lug nuts on Amazon for $20.

Looking at how the hubs have slightly recessed areas on the thread size and reading carefully about how ARP mandates that there needs to be slight chamfer on the threaded end of the studs (not sure why this is, but it apparently can lead to stud failure without) I felt really uncomfortable drilling out the holes for a slightly larger size. The next size up was around .56" and that requires a 14.5mm hole.

I'll post some picks when I get things ready to press in.

Wow was it hard to remove the rear half shafts from the axle. Had to rent a slid hammer and I nearly knocked the car off the jack stands getting them out. Good thing, one bearing was pretty much gritty and toasted.

Getting this bearing off the shaft is also giving me a headache. My press doesn't have a wide enough mouth to push it off, so I will try and get it done at a friend's shop. That retainer ring is bothering me- might it crack if I press it off? Not sure if they are available, will have to call Delta tomorrow.