View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 11-22-2021 07:49 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Recently doing some wheel work again on the JH. About a year ago I replaced the front wheel studs with some original factory studs from Greg.

I've been using a set of John Brown wheels in 4 x 106.5 that were meant for a mini cooper (the original kind). What I have noticed recently is that the lug nuts (some aftermarket aluminum ones with a beveled edge to suit the beveled edge on the John Brown Wheels) don't really seat that far, maybe only around .6" deep.

The factory wheel studs just aren't very long, and with thicker flange aluminum wheels it seems like it's just too short. I always use a bit of anti-seize on the studs and it only really torques to about 40-45 ft lbs.

There are many different kinds of extended length 7/16" X 20 wheel studs out there but I am unsure of the "knurl" dimensions on the factory wheel studs. Does anyone know off hand? The "knurl" is usually measured in a dimension like ".560", ".450", etc. Also I have seen them in metric, in mm. I am assuming if the thread is Imperial, then the "Knurl" should be as well?

Is there more to the fitment than just the "knurl" dimensions? I see a lot of geometry there.

Here are what the original wheel studs look like:

Some aftermarket extended from Moroso and ARP: