View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 04-25-2021 04:23 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

Those batteries should have plenty of cranking power unless they are bad. Unlikely for a new battery. If you can get another car or known good battery close enough to connect it with jumper cables that would be a good check.

My first guess is that it is one or more bad electrical connections, most likely on the high current path. Remove and clean the high-current connection points at the starter, battery, battery connection to the car frame as well as the engine-to-body strap.

I have also heard that dirt and junk between the starter and the engine body can also cause this problem, though I have not personally experienced it. Removing the starter and cleaning off the area where these connect will remove that possibility.

Bad (rusted or corroded) contacts inside the starter are certainly a possibility, especially if it is a stock starter that has been sitting a while. If the above cleaning procedures do not work, you can try doing repeat short start attempts: that can sometimes break through whatever is blocking the contacts. If you end up having to replace the starter I would recommend getting one of the after-market ones rather that a rebuilt stock starter. I do not much like the way the after-market starters mount: the power connector from the battery is too close to the block for my comfort, unless you rotate the starter mount. But they are certainly much more reliable than the Lucas version.

Last edited on 04-25-2021 04:24 am by Tom Bradley