View single post by redracer
 Posted: 01-22-2021 11:25 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
redracer

Caution: after working on our cars for over 40 years, I found out something "NEW", which can be a problem.
Usually, when I have rebuilt a dizzy, I use all the components that came off that particular dizzy.
However, having amassed quite a collection, I thought it would be a good idea to turn the dozen or so ones I have into a production line.
Disassembling and cleaning them into their various components, I started the rebuild, first with a new inner seal(better than the originals, for those that had them).
Then the shaft with the weights and springs which was inserted them into a housing.
And now for the "PROBLEM"; I took at random, one of the off-center drive dog legs and moved it up into the shaft for the friction pin; strangely, I found the holes don NOT LINE UP?? so I tried another drive dog, and the same problem. With the dozen or so drive dogs I now had a jig-saw puzzle.
Apparently, the people that assembled these originallY, drilled the friction pin hole HAP-HAZARDLY at the time of final assembly, so that no 2 would match((WOW!!).
Therefore, please be forewarned: IF YOU REBUILD YOUR DIZZY, BE SURE TO KEEP ALL THE COMPONENTS FOR THAT PARTICULAR ONE SO THEY WILL "MATCH" FOR REASSEMBLING.