View single post by CDA951
 Posted: 12-31-2020 06:40 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
CDA951

If the fan was the source of the noise and you could also feel a vibration, the fan was likely damaged and you felt the resulting imbalance.

As for an electric fan, it is a great upgrade. I went with the relatively cheap basic Hayden 12" fan kit from Moss Motors (it was on sale at the time and Moss HQ is the next town over from me so I could pick it up in person :). This kit uses the snap fasteners that go through the radiator fins, which is not my favorite solution but our Jensen-Healey was bought as a Lemons rally car so it sufficed for the time (and still does after over 20K miles in 2 years!).

As for pusher or puller, it really depends on your individual setup and preference. I mounted the fan as a puller because there was room (fan blade could be reversed and run either way) and it allowed the oil cooler (also cobbled together from sale-priced Moss components) to be mounted in front of the radiator to take advantage of the fan while in traffic. I did splurge on a quality thermostatic probe for the radiator with an adjustable rheostat, and wired the relay coil input directly to the battery positive terminal to allow the fan to run after engine shutoff until the radiator cools down, as in a modern car.

This setup allowed our J-H to stay cool during its 8,000-mile cross-country journey for one of the Lemons Rally events of 2019, most of which was in 90+ degree ambient temps with a lot of humidity. Earlier this year the fan stopped working, but this was due to a poor crimp in the Hayden wiring harness which was easily repaired. You might be better off with a slightly better-quality fan kit, and if I did it again I'd buy or make some proper mounting brackets.