View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 08-14-2020 04:46 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

I agree with Bruce's steps for defeating the vacuum powered emissions devices, but I go a step further. Instead of plugging the hoses with a ball bearing, I just remove the hoses.

Go to an auto parts store, and they sell little rubber caps specifically for plugging/ capping vacuum spigots... little spigot condoms. They're cheap. One big one for the spigot on the intake manifold, and smaller ones for the distributor's vacuum capsule and the bypass valve. Functionally, the vac capsule & bypass valve don't have to be capped, but it's nice to keep any crud & corruption out of them.

For the spigot on the intake manifold, secure it with a nylon cable tie. Vacuum would normally hold it on, but one backfire would be enough to blow it off, then you have a massive air leak. Add the cable tie for security.

Bruce's 'plug the hoses' approach preserves the original look of the engine bay. Concours purists will appreciate that. To me, there's too much of a Rat's Nest on the 'stock' engine, and removing anything you can is an improvement.

But that's a detail. Bruce's point to block/ defeat those vacuum lines is what is important. How you do that is a detail. He blocks. I remove. Both work.

Regards,
Tim Engel