View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 08-13-2020 05:20 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

What to buy at this point depends on how much of a hurry you are in and what kind of shape the carbs are in. The least expensive route is to just get the things you know you need: fuel pressure gauge, the correct needles and the tools for tuning and balancing the carbs. Then look at it again and see what you need.

One thing to look at is the condition of the big rubber diaphragm on the damper. If this is in good shape, still flexible and no sign of stiffening up or cracking, then the rest of the rubber bits and gaskets are probably also in good shape. If not, then I would go for a basic rebuild kit. If you want to cover all bases at once, then also getting Grose jets and new floats (preferably nitril if you have gasohol in your area).

At this point it seems entirely possible that main problem could be simply due to a fuel pump putting out too much pressure. Resolving this first and then seeing if this is a problem may keep you from having to go to all the trouble of carb rebuilds at this point. While waiting you might also try wiping the dampers and carb inside with carb cleaning fluid and see if that helps with the sticking.

I see no problem with going the do-it-yourself route at this point. We were all pretty ignorant when we first started on these cars. You seem to be ahead of where I was when I bought my first British roadster. I still did almost everything myself anyhow and both car and I survived the experience. Being able to fix these things myself and get it back on the road is a big part of what I like about these. Can't do that with most modern cars nowadays.