View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 08-12-2020 08:02 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

When you switch the needle and damper assembly do you also switch the spring? I think the springs for a TR6 are significantly softer than those for the JH. Check to make sure both of yours require the same force to compress. (This is not a subtle thing. When you squeeze them by hand it should be obvious if they are different). This could be why one of the dampers is not closing all the way. Though I don't see why this should cause fuel leakage unless there is another problem (or two).

The needle should be easy to replace. There is a hole in the side of the damper which holds a spring-loaded pin that holds the needle in place. On my carbs this can be unscrewed with a slotted jewelers screw driver, which are cheap and easy to get. Supposedly, some require an Allen key, but I have never seen that. Once this is unscrewed, the needle can be pulled out the bottom. When re-installing, make sure the slot in the needle assembly is lined up with the holding pin. If the JH-spec needle is causing the problem, maybe it was installed incorrectly. Either the old or newer JH needles should work OK, but they should both be the same. IDK about TR6 needles in a JH.