View single post by noomg
 Posted: 08-05-2020 04:47 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
noomg

Jag,

I don't think anyone here called you a fool, or even implied you were for asking a question about door locks. If you think this is persecution you should see the TR7 guys go at it on that message board. It can get nasty.

I looked at the Owner's Handbook and the function is as you stated. But looking at the handbook I see two things of interest; first the picture of the car shows an early model which looks like it has a lock on the passenger door, second the book shows it was printed in Oct/73 and reprinted in Oct/74. I doubt they updated the reprint just based on the different function of my later model door locks.

Also both of my doors locks work and function the same. I'd say not quite a 1/4 turn each way to lock or unlock. Now the trunk lock on the other hand turns a 1/4 only one way(clockwise)like your passenger door lock.

Based on this, I'd guess either the early cars used the same type of lock for the trunk and passenger door or a PO at some point installed a trunk lock barrel in your passenger door.

FYI, my car is a late model(Dec/74)and has only two keys; the long ignition key, and the short key which operates both doors, the trunk, and the glove box.