View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 10-29-2005 04:35 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

The word 'electronic' is frequently used to justify a large price multiplier by suggesting to the consumer that an item has the reliability of solid-state (transistorized, etc.) devices.  In fact, however, 'electronic' merely means that the device deals with electricity in some form -- a conventional light bulb is 'electronic' in this sense.  One needs to read the fine print to see if 'electronic' actually means solid-state, or is just marketing BS.  If in doubt, always assume BS.

If your flashers are actually solid-state and require whacking to work, they're definitely broken.  If in fact they are some version of the conventional thermal type, then your assessment that the points have welded shut is probably correct, but when this occurs the device is at the end of its lifespan.  In either case, I would suggest replacement.

Given your location, I'd imagine that US type 552 flashers are readily available.  These have round cans of soft aluminum, but do fit into the rectangular Lucas brackets if sufficient force is applied.  I've attached a photo of my car's underdash showing this (some items may have been moved from their original locations).

As an alternative, you could try coating your flashers with a clear sealant such as paraffin wax (candle wax), Krylon (tm) paint, or the like, or placing them in plastic bags, or both.

Attachment: DSC00062.JPG (Downloaded 60 times)