View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 07-17-2020 10:30 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

My starter was doing more and more clicking before starting, so I decided to get the Gustafson. On the plus side, it is smaller, lighter and cranks a bit faster than the stock starter. It also was priced $40 less than the WOSP. Hopefully it will also be more reliable. On the down side, I did not like the way it mounted very much. As delivered, the only way to mount it was with the high-current battery connection turned towards (and almost touching) the engine block, which was totally not acceptable. The best rotation I found got the HC connection up towards the top, but that partially blocked the lower mounting bolt so I had to hand tighten it a ways before I could get a socket wrench on it. Fortunately the mounting threads were clean so hand tightening was not a problem. It is also lacking the connection for the ballast resistor bypass, which I do not need, but if someone else does, the WOSP might be a better choice. The latest versions are supposed to have that. If I knew of a place that actually did a good job or rebuilding the original starters I might be tempted to go that way. Unfortunately the solenoid always seems to get unreliable fairly quickly. The starter motor itself has always worked well for me. However, I live in San Diego, so do not have to try to start up in very cold weather. In that case the WOSP and Gustafson varieties might be significantly better.

Last edited on 07-17-2020 10:31 pm by Tom Bradley