View single post by jensendriver123
 Posted: 07-17-2020 03:23 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jensendriver123

Hi Guys, So, I got the engine all cleaned and the car inspected. Turns out I've got a pretty serious gas leak which was causing the engine to die at idle speeds. So, now I'm into rebuilding or upgrading the carbs. I'm wondering what folks think about rebuilding the Strombergs vs going with the Dellortos. I haven't been able to find too much discussion on the forum except for one thread where someone indicated that the Dellortos do give better response since it's a direct mechanical connection to the jets. Is it a "drop in" replacement or is it one of those things where I then have to think about possibly swapping out the cams? It sounds like the 107 cam can drop in with the stock springs.

I've got the carbs and manifold off now so that I can see the valves. The intake walls are all covered in black and the valves also. But, it looks like a thin coating. I'm wondering, at this point, whether I should even consider pulling the head and getting it "serviced". I haven't been able to locate the source of the leak I was referring to earlier in this thread. I don't see any indication that the leak is coming from the water pump. So, maybe it's coming from the head gasket but I can't locate it and now I can't run the car to try to see it.

I'm wondering if folks can recommend what I "might as well" do now that I'm into it this deep. I'm also thinking of replacing the distributor with the JHSP lucas and pointless system. Basically, I want to do the things that will make the car as reliable as possible so that I don't have to rip it apart again 6 months or a year down the road.

Thanks very much for everybody's help.

Last edited on 07-17-2020 03:33 am by jensendriver123