View single post by edward_davis
 Posted: 10-28-2005 05:44 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
edward_davis

Hello, folks.  I've been recently thinking about the air-cleaner setup on my 907.  I've got Stromberg carbs and a set of aftermarket paper-element aircleaners on the carbs.  Here's a picture of the engine from the JHPPG:

http://jhppg.com/gallery/1974-No-18713/DCP_1623

I also inherited most of the parts for the original aircleaner setup when I bought the car, and I'm wondering about the tradeoff of easier breathing vs. cool air intake.  The original system grabs air from in front of the radiator, which has horsepower impacts, but I assume that it is more restricting than the round-element filters that I'm using now.  Also, I imagine that the stock system would be slightly quieter, but I don't mind the noise so much. 

Does anyone know the stats about the performance tradeoffs of the two systems?  Seems like most of the photos I see of Jensen-Healey engines have the aftermarket intakes unless the car has been purposefully restored.  Has anyone made an aftermarket cool-air intake for the JH? 

I started wondering because I noticed that oil smoke from my temporary cam-cover leak was coming out the exhaust.  I worried at first about the engine 'till I noticed the smoke being sucked into the intake.  Once I installed the orange gaskets from the club shop, the problem went away.  But it planted seeds of doubt about where my engine air should be coming from...

Thanks.  Edward Davis.