View single post by Dakota123
 Posted: 07-06-2020 02:04 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dakota123

Had her out a couple of times, sorting this that and the other, mainly related to the brakes (Toyota pickup 4-piston calipers — the master cylinder I’m using has only a 0.75 inch bore and doesn’t move enough fluid, will try a 1-inch bore design next) and first impressions are:

Engine — just wow, 2.2L, 104/107 cams, 10.9:1 (10.4 after modern head gasket), mild head porting, 14 lb steel flywheel is a great combo, absolutely transforms the engine.  Accidentally had it to 5,000 rpms maybe half throttle after just a few miles in, really hadn’t meant to do that but she is so rev happy now. 

W58 — I love the ratios. The gear rollover noise in neutral/clutch released is awful, though, thought I had a rod knock until I figured out it is the trans. Apparently common with light flywheels. Not in love with the short-throw shifter, although rev matching works out well with the light flywheel. Might try a standard-throw shifter. Trans mount was no big deal, trimmed one side of the original JH 4-spd mount so I could move it back (it’s sits off center to clear my exhaust system), four new holes in the floor, new holes in the mount to mate to the W58 mount.

Clutch is a Spec Stage 1, 7,000-lb clamp (if I did the math right) for a TR6 with the W58 input shaft option (hard to find that option on Spec’s order sheet, depends on how one arrives at the specific Web page, sometimes it was there and sometimes it wasn’t!) — fit perfectly. Effort is no, or not much, higher than what I remember. No chattering, even brand new.

New front bushings and Bilsteins — feels very modern and put together now. Old dampers didn’t seem bad when I removed them, but the new ones really have made a difference.

All in all, really pleased with he way she’s coming together.

Last edited on 07-09-2020 12:54 pm by Dakota123