View single post by redracer
 Posted: 06-28-2020 04:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
redracer

You are correct; the very early speedos had spinning metal-on-metal, and would seize & break the cable. Many dealers would install a new cable and have that one break immediately.
The later speedos used nylon/plastic for the rotating sleeve, so if yours is truly from a '73, be sure it has the plastic rotating part. (have plenty of very good used ones if you want)
Years ago, I used a nail that I squared off one end to "match" the speedo cable to "test" them before installing a new cable.
Interestingly, this past Septemkber driving back from the National at St. Louis, my ODOMETER stopped working, but the speedometer kept going. I plan to do a write up on what I discovered (Mike & Peter at Nissonger were useless).
If you have your apart, notice the wrote plastic piece that gets driven directly off the cog where the cable comes in. It turns another cog(located at 6 o'clock) and the only thing keeping that piece up is a little lube and the small flat spring steel keeping it in place. If this white plastic "drops" down(from gravity) your odometer will not work! You may notice a "tab" on this white plastic that looks as though it would be made to "rest" on something so the piece couldn't "drop" down??
Check it out---too much to do for a photo write up now