View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 05-16-2020 08:57 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

For those interested, I've posted a copy of the Dave Bean instructions for how to 'degree' adjustable cam pulleys in the 'Files' section of the Jensen-Healey Facebook page. You can download a copy over there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/102760143109766/files/

Chris & I discussed the following during our email exchange, and I'm including it here since it kinda completes the thoughts in the previous couple of posts.

May 16, 2020, 12:48PM, Chris Morlock, aka Disco, wrote:
Yes this all makes sense.  I am just trying to get a ballpark starting point so I don't end up smashing valves on the piston head when I bolt everything down.  Next step is to torque the head and then actually degree the cam in measuring all the way.

May 16, 2020, 1:14PM, Tim Engel, Esprit2, wrote:
Chris,
Before installing the head on the block, it's standard procedure to turn the crank to 90 deg BTDC. That puts all the pistons halfway down their bores, and well out of the way of any valves.

After the head is torqued down, and the cam carriers bolted on with sealant, then gently return the crank to TDC. Use a little mechanical empathy while turning the crank, and stop immediately if the crank clunks to a stop. That clunk would be a piston hitting a valve, so don't force it. Back-off and tweak the cam positions as required to move any 'full open' valves to partially closed. Then proceed to TDC.

Once at TDC, you can install the timing belt and get into degreeing the cams per Dave Bean's instructions.
(Snip)...
Later,
Tim