View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 05-14-2020 04:21 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

So, ready to bolt on the heads, just waiting for a couple extra shims to get me to .007" and .012" on intake and exhaust. So much easier to do this when the head is off!

So my veiner pulleys had no real objective marks other than the little bits of paint I had used to line everything up in the past. Now I am ready to bolt it all together and degree the cam, got a very nice setup on load from a friend.

Problem: if you don't even have the initial idea of where the cams should go (this would not be the case if I had the green dot pulley to use with the 104), then how to you bolt it up.

My solution: I put the cam towers in place and have everything shimmed correctly, then measured the intake and exhaust valve opening and closing points, roughly. The RED dots on the pulley I marked are those events. I then looked at the cam info for the 104 from Tim, and it says:

Intake Opens 32 Degrees BTDC
Exhaust Closes 32 Degrees ATDC

So, the cam rotates at 1/2 the crank speed in a 4 stroke, regardless. I took 32 degrees, devided by two to get the cam degrees (it's my understanding all cam data is always in crank degrees) and then used a protractor to measure and rotate the cams into the correct position they should be AT TOP DEAD CENTER. Those are the WHITE marks.

So now I have a very rough objective point to start with when bolting the cams in place, the next step is to actual degree it in on the engine.

Question: Is there any data for the 104 cams at .050" or some kind of lift? It's hilarious that Dave Bean sent me a big write up on how to degree in cams that completely emphasizes the importance of degreeing at lifts and how it's much more accurate and better, but then no information about timing their cam!?

I looked all over the Internets and no one seems to have data at any lift. I guess I will just have to use the data at zero lift.