View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 05-05-2020 01:28 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

I perfer magnetic or optical triggers since the engine doesn't have to be cranking at a minimum rpm for them to work. Heck, the engine doesn't even have to be turning over, and that allows you to static time the ignition with a test light or multi-meter.

Most modern ignition systems now use Hall Effect sensors, and the engine has to be cranking at 200+ rpm before they work, so there's no chance to accurately static time the distributor before starting the engine. Well, there is, sorta, but it involves 'eyeball' aligning the reluctor with the pick-up. Given the distributor's position on the 907, it's not easy getting the ol' eyeball down there.

The Pertronix Ignitor II and Ignitor III use Hall Effect sensors, as does the Lucas CEI system that was in later 43/ 45 distributors (1980-on ?).

The basic Pertronix Ignitor used to have a magnetic trigger, and you could static time it. But they had problems with the magnets falling out, and there were a lot of warranty claims. I've not used one in a long time, so I'm out of touch, but I thought I'd heard that the basic Ignitor now uses a Hall Effect sensor as well... is that correct.

But yes, getting back to your original point, one convenience 'plus' for the Allison/ Crane/ FAST XR700/ XR/3000 is that they're optically triggered, and can be static timed very easily.

Regards,
Tim Engel