View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 05-04-2020 12:09 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

I mentioned the Crane XR700 & XR3000 ignition systems. Rather than leave that dangling, I'll finish the thought.

It was originally an Allison ignition system, but Allison went out of business. Crane bought the ignition system product line and marketed it for a while. However, Crane is a cam company, and ignition systems were never a big part of their business... so they sold it off.

The system had a strong reputation with Harley-Davidson owners, so a Harley aftermarket parts company (S&S ??) bought the ignition system and continued to sell it to bikers and car guys alike.

Now it's the FAST XR700 Fireball ignition system, plus a line-up of more modern ignition systems. I bought mine in 1998-99 sometime, and you can still buy the same unit. It's that good... there's still a market for it. But time moves on, and modern systems have more bells & whistles on them, so FAST is selling products like that as well. But I'd still be inclined to buy an XR700 or XR3000.

Note that they do not hide inside the distributor. There's only a pick-up in the distributor, but the amplifier is external, in a finned aluminum housing that can be mounted where there's some airflow. That's a major key to why they're so heat resistant... they can be cooled. Pertronix & many others fit inside the closed distributor where there is no cooling... they look stock, but they suffer for it.

At Summit Racing...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-700-0231

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 05-04-2020 12:13 am by Esprit2