View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 05-03-2020 11:13 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

See the attached JPEG for the spark plug, gap & plug wires Lotus spec'd for their version of the 2.2 equipped with an electronic ignition system and a 'hotter' coil.

Current draw is a function of plug gap. It takes more current to jump a larger gap, and breaker points couldn't handle a lot of current. So a breaker points system would limit the plug gap to around 0.023"-0.o26", and the coil to around 23-24,000 volts. The basic Pertronix Ignitor is a 'points replacer' electronic ignition, and limited to similar gaps & volts.

Most other aftermarket electronic ignition systems can handle much higher voltages ('hotter' coils) and larger plug gaps up to 0.046-0.048". The Lucas CEI ignition system Lotus used called for 0.035" plug gaps, as noted on the JPEG.

I have a 2.2 converted 907 with a Crane Fireball XR700 ignition, a Lucas Gold 'Sport Coil' (nothing 'hot' by today's standards), NGK leads, BPR6ES plugs, and 0.036" gaps, and the engine would pull 8,000 rpm if I needed it during an autocross run. The ignition never missed a beat.

The plugs & gaps you use depend upon the coil's potential output, and the current draw your electronic ignition can handle without frying. In the above engine, I fried two Pertronix Ignitors, and three Lumenitions, but the Crane XR700 never complained.

The 'Lucas' plug wires mentioned in the JPEG are standard carbon core 'resistor' wires. The 'NGK' wires are 'solid core', similar to Magnecore, etc.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Attachment: Sec TDA - Ignition - Spark Plugs, Gap & Plug Wires.jpg (Downloaded 104 times)

Last edited on 05-03-2020 11:22 pm by Esprit2