View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 05-03-2020 03:27 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Unfortunately it seems to just perpetuate the general idea English cars are unreliable and don't run and specifically the myth that the JH is particularly bad.

It's a high performance car. I have been working on and restoring Porsche's, Ferrari's, tons of old motorcycles (American, German, and English) for 25 years and they all have problems. The concept that English stuff from that era isn't reliable to me is really generally absurd. They all suffered from various issues. Ask me how my early to mid 70's shovelheads have run. What about the countless 289's and 351's and 327's from that era- they all required tons of work.

Going back further they are far less reliable and require even more effort.

Fact is technology progresses fairly evenly and things just work with less effort. Pinning it on "English" engineering is silly. My 1969 BMW R60/2 has been one of the most unreliable motor vehicles I have ever owned, but I make excuses because it's worth a lot and it's a fantastic vehicle. The myth of "German engineering" is as strong as ever, regardless of reality.

Just saying it's part of this auto culture to constantly badmouth and generalize English stuff, besides the fact that it was quite nearly as bad as everything else at the time. The perception makes the reality.