View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 04-11-2020 05:44 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Esprit2 wrote:
Disco,
If this project exceeds your reach, you're fortunate to be ~close to Spencer's Motorsports. Barry Spencer can time a 907 with his eyes closed, in a dark room. But he would still need to know the specs for the cams that are installed.

Barry Spencer - Owner
5701 State Farm Dr #11
Rohnert Park, CA 94928 (north of Petaluma)
(855) 456-8873
Spencersmotorsports@gmail.com
http://www.spencersmotorsports.com/index.html

Regards,
Tim Engel

Was again experiencing tuning problems at high RPM and decided to take the head off, it actually came out way easier than I thought. I phoned and talked to Barry today and he's a great guy. I really think he might have built this engine 20 years ago, he could not remember but it's pretty sure upon looking into it for the first time.

The heads were ported, the work is immaculate, and it has the high comp J&E machined pistons. Liners look great and all it took was a rag and a wipe down and they look new. I can still see some of the crosshatch on the liners.

Again the mystery cams bothered me because I could not find any marks. Barry said to look behind the thrust plate and sure enough, there was "104" imprinted on both. So now the mystery is over, I can time them! I was about to send them off for a set of new 104's so this phone call saved me $300.

I'll also be able to tell how badly my timing was off for the last 2-3k miles, so that will be enlightening. Thanks for the recommendation Tim! When I bull these valves and inspect the seats and there is any damage at all I will be sending them over to Barry for some work.