View single post by nvandal
 Posted: 10-22-2005 10:43 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
nvandal

Folks,

Thought I'd give you some facts about converting to a five speed as I'm finding them. I got a 75 car for parts, so I have the tranny, drive shaft and rear end. In order to install the tranny in my 74 I'll need to drill a hole just behind the gear shift opening to accept the rubber mount on the five speed shifter assembly.

Now come the disappointing part. The drive shaft is this mess with a cv type joint in the middle and some funky rubber u-joint at one end. The rubber is shot, and I wouldn't use this contraption anyhow. My friend has a drive shaft from a Jensen GT and it has a slip joint like the typical transmission, so it's the one I need.

The rear end is a straightforward swap, but I'll replace all the suspension bushings, shocks, etc. I've been making rear disk conversion kits for the Lotus Europa, so I'll likely be producing them for Jensens as well.  I'll add this feature too, as a prototype.

If anyone out there has a source for the GT type drive shaft with slip joint, I'd appreciate your help. Or, If I could get a standard four speed drive shaft I could use the yokes to have a drive shaft fabricated. I could then trade my 74 drive shaft back like a " core".

Also,

I'd like to flush out the rear end to get any crap out of it. The axles are out so I can lift it vertically to drain it. Any comments on what I could use/ should use/ or should I not even do this???

Would appreciate advice/ comments/ help.

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT