View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 03-30-2020 08:41 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Spent the last few weeks working on her, tons of time since all my clients cancelled on me for the foreseeable future and we're in a "shelter in place" area. Hopefully working on a Jensen Healey is still considered "essential".

Had a problem with her snapping out of 2nd gear (sometimes 4th too) that got progressively worse over the years and decided to look at the transmission mount. It was a soggy mess, came apart in my hand has soon as I got it out. Went ahead and replaced all the mounts, including the motor mounts, which seemed solid but I wanted to make sure. They seemed more on the hard side so it was a good idea too.

Got a shift linkage rebuilt kit from Delta and finally watched the episode of "Wheeler Dealers" on the motortrend channel where they do a 74. Actually a great how to rebuild your shift linkage tutorial, the guy really explained it well and it was a breeze.

Rebuilt the driveshaft and repacked it with grease and painted it. Lubed all the suspension zerks.

My front wheel studs kept failing so I got some from Greg (thanks for the fast shipping) and also had a funny purchase I made a few months ago- a set of EBC "sport" rotors. I bought these basically looking at a picture, thinking they would be thicker. They advertised as slotted and drilled. I was less than impressed when they came. I found a pretty good deal and they were only about $50 more than regular rotors.

But they aren't even worth the extra $50. The rotor is the exact same as stock dimensions, and it has basically a couple of "engraved" slots and little dimples. Really silly. They also powder coat it black, then warn you in the package that you should nor take it off, calling it some kind of heat treatment coating. Then they say it will wear off within the first 10-20 stops. What a joke.

Silliness aside, I really think these are a total waste of time and money. This is probably the last time they will even look cool:

Last edited on 03-30-2020 08:43 am by discogodfather