View single post by Steve Duncan
 Posted: 03-19-2020 06:11 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Steve Duncan

Before I did mine I read all the posts and asked a lot of questions. I was so hopeful I could use a puller I fabricated to remove them. No way.

I now believe and recommend the following process for suspension bushing removal:

1. Use a hole saw on a stout drill and drill out the rubber between the interior metal bushing and exterior metal bushing. Spray a lot of W-40 on it while you are doing it to keep it from binding. Approach it from both sides till through.

2. If you don't have access to a hole saw, then use a drill bit, as large as possible, and drill through the rubber between the interior and exterior metal bushings. Drill as many holes at needed until the interior metal bushing pushes out. Use W-40 liberally during the drilling.

3. When the interior metal bushing is removed, use a sawsall to cut through the exterior metal bushing, the one that is frozen into the differential. Yes, you have to be careful, so go slow. But you'll find that when you have just about cut all the way through the metal bushing, you'll be able to use a metal chisel to collapse it down and remove it.

The method takes a whole lot less time and muscle.