View single post by Tom Bradley
 Posted: 03-17-2020 11:12 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Tom Bradley

cjwilson wrote:
The only issue I see is the wires in the male bullet connector are starting to fray. I'm guessing that 50% of the wires are still connected. It's at least a good enough connection for the car to run. I'm guessing that's not my issue.

If there is fraying, it often is worse than it appears. To be on the safe side, I would replace that connector. Better to waste time doing that than go to the expense of replacing, repairing or upgrading the tach to find out you have the same problem.

The only other relatively easy fix I can think of is that the internal calibration trim pot connection may be bad. This happens sometimes on these types of potentiometers. If you have an ohmmeter, you can measure the resistance between points 1 and 2 on the pic shown below. It should be approximately 20 ohms. If the resistance is very high, then try rotating the orange knob back and forth to try to clean off the connection. Also check to make sure the small nut on the back is tight.

If neither of these work, my guess is that you will have to replace or modify the tach.

Attachment: tach internal.jpg (Downloaded 59 times)