View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 11-15-2019 09:12 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

Rdinstel wrote:
Thanks Tim, I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Do you know Brian or Paul, his lead mechanic, well enough to talk to them about your advice?Ray, I know Brian's dad better than I know Brian. Senior and I were both autocrossers, and we'd both bring our teens-but too-young-to-drive sons along. That's how I met Brian. Now that he's an adult, I don't autocross any more, and he lives about 1.5 hours away. I don't see him much, or have what you might call a relationship with him.

BMC Autos hosts annual Spring & Fall open house/ car shows. I attend them all, and we chat briefly then. I have met his lead mechanic at those events, we've talked, but I can't say I know him. At last month's show, we did talk briefly about the mechanical status of your JH. I get the feeling Paul would be grateful for any tech data I could hand off as I was leaving, but might not be too crazy about me sticking around to tell him how to do his job on a 907. Just a gut feel, I don't know him well enough to judge how receptive he would be.

But I'd sure be comfortable enough with Brian to raise the subject of how I might be of assistance with him.

Rdinstel wrote:
I live in Lynchburg Virginia, a somewhat out of the way part of the state.I've put the word out to a few Lotus friends out your way, but they're all saying there aren't a lot of options for qualified shops near you. A couple of them recommended Ragtops & Roadsters, but that's in Perkasie, PA, and 6 hrs 15 Min (377 miles) from you. I'm still looking.

Rdinstel wrote:
BMC advices brake work, a distributor rebuild, carburetor rebuild, gearbox and rear axle oil change, rubber component updates, and tires.
Brakes? I've not driven the car. But re-building the brake system is a good idea on any car that has sat idle as much as yours has. The good news is that it hasn't been used much. The bad news is that it hasn't been used much.

Distributor rebuild? That could very well be part of why the engine runs rough, but I've not heard it run. IF they rebuild it, will they do the work, or send the distributor to Jeff at Advanced Distributors? All other Britcars with Lucas distributors have them installed vertically, or very nearly so. The Lotus 9XX engines are the only ones that mount it horizontally. Early prototypes leaked, oil just ran out the horizontal path... no surprise. So, Lucas added an internal lip seal... just for the Lotus engine. Jeff is convinced (vocally adamant) that no other Britcars need a seal, so the Lotus engine doesn't need a seal. He won't put them in. Talk with Delta Motorsports. They send distributors to Advanced Distributors to be rebuilt, but then, I 'believe' they add replacement lip seals themselves. I know they stock the seals.

Off Topic: Both Pertronix and 123 sell distributors for Lotus & JH applications. However, none of their products have seals for horizontal applications either, and they leak.

Carburetor rebuild? Really? I thought that was a more recent conversion. Well, if they have sat with old gas in them, then they need a good internal cleaning more than a 'rebuild' due to wear. Splitting hairs. Based on what you mention above, it sounds like I should keep them away from the carbs? I wouldn't go that far. I know they have worked on Weber DCOEs, Dellortos are just far less common. My concern about the Dellortos was that JH used 40s, and the Lotus-sized 45s are installed on your engine. Even if BMC has the JH Workshop Manual, it contains NO info on the LOTUS jetting specs and set-up. If they are comfortable with Dellortos, then I can give them the Lotus specs.

Gearbox and rear axle oil change? Yes, and the engine oil and filter as well... "IF" it's not already current. All that's just catching up on normal maintenance. No big deal.

Rubber component updates? What rubber items?

The timing belt was recently replaced. I'd be surprised if they didn't replace the V-belts while they were off. But V-belts are minor.

There are lip-style main seals on the crank, front & rear (and replacing the rear seal means pulling the transmission). There are also lip seals on the front of both cam shafts, and on the auxiliary housing. The timing belt that was just recently replaced would have to be removed in order to replace all but the rear main seal. If those seals are a concern, then they SHOULD HAVE dealt with them while the head & timing belt were off. Going back in now is just repeating R&R work they've already done once.

The front & rear main seals are supposed to be centered with special tools during installation. Failure to do so will most likely result in leakage. I have all the special tools to work on a 907, but they're now unobtainium/ irreplaceable We'd have to work out an understanding. I don't know... something involving a first born.

Engine mounts are also rubber... how far was he proposing going?

And tires. Absolutely. Old tires are not to be trusted, so at least have the date codes checked so you know the age. Especially if your first drive is going to be halfway across the country at sustained freeway speeds.

Just to add to the list. The engine currently has a new, black, trapezoidal tooth timing belt. The service change interval for that belt is 24,000 miles, or 24 months... whichever comes first.

"IF" the belt is going to come off again to install lip seals, then consider replacing it with a new Gates Racing BLUE belt. It's a modern, state of the art belt (ignoring the old trapezoidal tooth shape), and good for more like 8 years. If you're not going to have a qualified shop near you, how often do you want to have to replace the timing belt. Just a thought.
Rdinstel wrote:
I can forward Paul's email evaluation of the car if you are willing to read several long emails.Sure. PM a copy to me.

Later,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 11-15-2019 09:21 pm by Esprit2