View single post by DonBurns
 Posted: 11-15-2019 08:52 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
DonBurns

Has anyone experienced the issue below and have any ideas? I've kind of stepped away from the project for a few months in frustration.

I have long experienced what I think is kind of an odd issue. When I turn the key, there is usually a delay before the engine cranks of a second or so, sometimes longer, sometimes no delay. But for a long time it had always started, so I filed it away as a minor concern - but of course it's an old Brit sports car so there are are always concerns ;).

I wondered early on if the issue could be a starter motor or solenoid about to go bad, but eliminated this by connecting my multimeter to the solenoid, and determined that the delay actually meant no juice to the solenoid for that 1 -2 seconds, not a delay in the solenoid or starter reacting. I checked all of the connections from the ignition key to the solenoid, and everything seems good (new main and engine compartment harnesses.)

Three months ago I decided to chance a longer trip, and of course the car wouldn't start at all for an hour. Tried it again and then it started, but I lost all confidence in driving further than I wanted to tow it, so stepped away for awhile.

I'm pretty sure the only point left that could be the cause is the switch on the left side of the steering column that is turned by the ignition key. I have that out and thought to dissemble and inspect / clean the contacts. It has a pretty heavy metal casing and is mechanically crimped together. I'm a little nervous about trying to take it apart.

Any thoughts about my being on the right track here? Is this part serviceable / replaceable? There is clearly a strong spring inside.

Thanks

Attachment: Ign Switch2.jpg (Downloaded 113 times)