View single post by Rdinstel
 Posted: 11-15-2019 11:34 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rdinstel

Thanks Tim, I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Do you know Brian or Paul, his lead mechanic, well enough to talk to them about your advice?
I live in Lynchburg Virginia, a somewhat out of the way part of the state.
I have basic skills, but limited time unfortunately as I travel a lot.
BMC advices brake work, a distributor rebuild, carburetor rebuild, gearbox and rear axle oil change, rubber component updates, and tires. I can forward Paul's email evaluation of the car if you are willing to read several long emails.
Brian gave me a virtual facetime tour of the car and I could hear it misfiring.
I know it sounds like the car has lots wrong with it, but I feel I paid a fair price for the car and the basics of the car are sound.
Since the car is at BMC, I would prefer for them to do the work for which they are qualified. Based on what you mention above, it sounds like I should keep them away from the carbs?
I was actually toying with keeping the car at BMC for the winter while they work on it and then coming up and driving it home - what a fun road trip - if my wife can stand waiting for her sport's car that long. From her first car until we had kids, she drove sport's cars. She is excited about having one again. We looked at lots of them and the Jensen Healey was her favorite. I have my father's TR4A, but Amy does not feel comfortable in it - the Jensen Healey was just right to her.
Ray