View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 10-14-2005 12:06 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

"... a really interesting spat of revving up and down between 0 and 2500-3000 rpm for a minute or two."
This sounds like water in the fuel, that was eventually sucked into the engine and consumed.  It could also be caused by serious blockage somewhere in the fuel lines -- check filters, banjo fittings on the fuel pump, fuel inlet screen (if present) on the tank pickup pipe, etc.

"... idle is up about 1-200rpms from where it was before."
Typical of Strombergs as they warm up.

"... Is there a filter actually inside the strombergs? "
Some of the fuel inlet valves for Strombergs had little built-in filter screens (see photo).  I've never cared for these myself as I think a big filter right at the fuel inlet tee not only works better overall, but is far less likely to be completely plugged by rust or sediment.  If you buy your carb overhaul kits from Delta you should get the non-screen fuel inlet valves.

"... Now it's idling pretty well w/ only occassional misfires on #1."
A perfect ignition system will still miss occasionally, say once every minute or so.  More often than that, check your points gap.  Make sure there's a proper lubricant on the points rubbing block or your gap will change very rapidly as you drive -- as much as 0.001" per 100 miles, perhaps.  Plain old dielectric grease works quite well as a lubricant here.

"... Acceleration from 1-2,500 is still pretty weak and sometimes is bogging ... "
Welcome to the wonderful world of long-duration camshafts.  With a stock engine, there's very little torque below 2000 rpm.  Much of the skill necessary when driving a car with a 907 engine involves planning far ahead to keep the engine between torque peak (4800 rpm) and power peak (6500 rpm) as much as possible.  The skilled operator will also learn to anticipate the slight delay provided by Strombergs (as opposed to the slight true bog, at low rpm's, that Del'lortos exhibit).

"... And despite all my bitching I'm still having fun with it."
Which is the point of the exercise.

"I don't mind putzing and doing stuff I just wish I could drive her further than 10 blocks without worrying about some inexplicable problem popping up."
The whole of the law for British cars is:  Drive.  Notice problem.  Curse.  Fix problem.  Repeat.

Attachment: fuel inlet valve with screen.jpg (Downloaded 261 times)